Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Zapper

There was a pretty heavy electrical storm in the area a few hours ago. I decided to grab my camera and go out for some lightning practice. Photography or not, I've always wanted to take a picture of lightning, so even if I wasn't impressed with the results per say, I'd still have fulfilled a long-time want of mine.

The very first photo I took (the one below) was actually good enough for me to pack it in, but I stayed for a few more shots. After five or six more photos of black sky, I decided to pack it in.

This type of lightning bolt is a positive bolt, more commonly known as Anvil lightning. These can typically strike anywhere within a several mile radius, where I was only two miles away from the cell. Brandishing a metal tripod and a spot under a tree, not to mention standing in a puddle of water, I decided to go ahead and pack it in on the account I felt uncomfortably unsafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment